Among the bulletin-board resources that I have pasted around my office, competing with lists and charts for visual space, is “The Country Around Edgestow.” This fantasy map was drawn by artist Tim Kirk for an early Mythlore article, “Arthurian & Cosmic Myth in That Hideous Strength” by Margaret Hannay (1970). I have confessed before that I have tried to work out some of the local (i.e., the ones on Earth) places in C.S. Lewis’ Ransom Cycle. I am really among the least likely of fools to succeed in this quest, not being either British or anywhere near the English spaces where Lewis has located the story. But in writing my article, “What is the Significance of Worc(h)ester in C.S. Lewis’ Ransom Cycle?,” I became intrigued by the possibilities of real places in C.S. Lewis’ mind that sit behind his fictional English towns and countrysides. I even spent a day hiking with Rev. Stephen Winter–the “Wisdom from the Lord of the Rings” blogger–hoping to feel Lewis’ real schoolboy environment of Malvern and environs behind Dr. Ransom’s earthly home base.

My visit was not conclusive, though it was an interesting one–and I had a brilliant weekend of hiking and visiting. I still would like, however, to continue to visit the hills and towns and colleges that form Lewis’ literary imagination.

One of Lewis’ key terran fictional places is “Edgestow,” the home of Bragdon Wood, Bracton College, and the literary centre of the events in That Hideous Strength. In my reading about Lewis and Arthurian literature, I happened upon Margaret Hannay’s piece, which included a map of “The Country Around Edgestow” by artist Tim Kirk. Mythlore has an elegant design today that heightens its peer-review status. Back in the day, though, it was like an avant-garde literary zine meets academic playground–a precursor to places like A Pilgrim in Narnia and one of the better products to come out of Inklings societies in the 1960s. If you have a chance to scan some old copies, you will see all manner of folk poetry, fan art, and editorial imagination.

One of these older art pieces is Tim Kirk’s “The Country Around Edgestow.” People who are better at seeing the three-dimensional from reading text may quibble, but as a reading tool, I have come to like this fairly detailed Edgestow map. With the help of Mythlore editor Janet Brennan Croft, Tim Kirk kindly gave me permission to share the map on A Pilgrim in Narnia. You can download a PDF of Hannay’s article with Kirk’s map in context here. And there is a clearer, zoom-able version of the map here. I hope this provides some dimension for the next time you read the Ransom books.

See Hannay, Margaret (1970) “Arthurian & Cosmic Myth in That Hideous Strength,” Mythlore: A Journal of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and Mythopoeic Literature: Vol. 2: No. 2 , Article 3.

About Brenton Dickieson

“A Pilgrim in Narnia” is a blog project in reading and talking about the work of C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the worlds they touched. As a "Faith, Fantasy, and Fiction" blog, we cover topics like children’s literature, apologetics and philosophy, myths and mythology, fantasy, theology, cultural critique, art and writing. This blog includes my thoughts as I read through Lewis and Tolkien and reflect on my own life and culture. In this sense, I am a Pilgrim in Narnia--or Middle Earth, or Fairyland. I am often peeking inside of wardrobes, looking for magic bricks in urban alleys, or rooting through yard sale boxes for old rings. If something here captures your imagination, leave a comment, “like” a post, share with your friends, or sign up to receive Narnian Pilgrim posts in your email box. Brenton Dickieson is a father, husband, friend, university lecturer, and freelance writer from Prince Edward Island, Canada. You can follow him on Twitter, @BrentonDana.
This entry was posted in Reflections and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to “The Country Around Edgestow”: A Map from C.S. Lewis’ That Hideous Strength by Tim Kirk from Mythlore

1. Ben says:

Greetings! Thank you for sharing this delightful map of Edgestow — although it would be nice to include a post-apocalyptic one too! As I was looking at your other blog entries, I came across “A Cosmic Find in The Screwtape Letters,” dating from May 26, 2016. You mention finding C.S. Lewis’ original hand-written preface, and you share a portion of it. I’d deeply appreciate a complete copy of it, if possible. My book group is reading The Screwtape Letters, and I’d like to share this discovery with them. Thanks!

2. Jane Edmonds says:

Definitely no “h” in Worcester, Brenton. Jane.

On Tue, Feb 23, 2021 at 9:29 AM A Pilgrim in Narnia wrote:

> Brenton Dickieson posted: “Among the bulletin-board resources that I have > pasted around my office, competing with lists and charts for visual space, > is “The Country Around Edgestow.” This fantasy map was drawn by artist Tim > Kirk for an early Mythlore article, “Arthurian & Cosmi” >

3. John Gough says:

As usual, Brenton, your discussion is very good. I re-read “That Hideous Strength” about five years ago, and was not aware of spatial orientation in the novel, and this is something I have learned to pay attention to.
    In my working life I lectured in mathematics education. I had a special interest in the mathematical thinking that is needed to properly understand some books. This can include, for example, the reader’s need to conceptualize a family tree. (I felt this was absolutely essential for me to make, when I read Elfrida Vripont’s Quaker novel, “The Lark in the Morn”: when I read the sequel, I was delighted to find that Vripont actually included an official family tree!). Or the layout of the rooms of a house (This was crucial in understanding the fatal scene near the end of Rumer Godden’s Indian novel “The River”.)
    Or the spatial relations between places in the story — essentially, sketching a map.
    For example, Hope Mirlee’s post-World War I fantasy novel, “Lud-in-the-Mist” begins with a prose description of the location of Lud, a major town, on a river, with mountains to the west, and a mysterious fairyland beyond the mountains, … Reading this, I felt impelled to sketch a map to really SEE what I was reading.
    All of this leads me to ask whether careful re-reading of “That Hideous Strength” will reveal crucial sentences or paragraphs that support the visual details of the Edgestowe map: east-west, and north-south orientation; right and left indications of turning; upwards and downwards descriptions of travelling; turns in a road; distances from place to place.
    Of course it is possible to use an imaginatively constructed map to guide our spatial thinking as we read a story. But what I am looking for is a careful reading of the story to guide our making of the map that is described in the story.
    By contrast, Tolkien made maps (and created languages) to guide his writing.

• Hi John, thanks for the comments. You have two questions.
      Would a THS careful reading attending to “space” show Tim’s map to be correct? I’m not sure. I just am not a good reader in that way, but very intuitive and accepting of reality. I would have made a map align with that Malvern-Birmingham corridor.
      Did Lewis make a sketch map of Narnia and its surrounds that Pauline Baynes worked with in making her map? Yes! You can see the map here at the Bodleian library: https://64.media.tumblr.com/43af315bb2958d9e5d7e66d2dbfdf2ff/tumblr_inline_p06icv9YGC1thrjq2_540.gifv.
      Folks might also find this article by Kathryne Hall about Lewis and drawing nice: https://pillars.taylor.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1236&context=inklings_forever

• John Gough says:

Excellent, Brenton. Very interesting, and very helpful.
        The essay on Lewis’s own drawings for “Boxen”, also mentioning that he briefly considered illustrating “Narnia” himself, before deciding Pauline Baynes would do a better job (and he did not have time for illustrating), leads me to wonder if Lewis archives contain other illustrations (non-“Boxen”) that have not been published in Collected Letters or other books? I know some of “Narnia” grew from images (dreams) Lewis had, such as the faun (“Tumnus”) with an umbrella. It seems Lewis was also creative in visual-image ways, but this has not (with the exception of the essay you cited) been discussed.
        Thank you!

• It’s a good question. I have seen very few sketches, and never the faun in a snow wood, I’m afraid. Who knows what is left in the world, but I haven’t seen anything.

• David Llewellyn Dodds says:

There’s a jolly photo somewhere ‘ out there’ of Lewis’s marginal sketch working out the armor in his copy of Tolkien and Gordon’s ed. of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

4. Steve says:

This came at exactly the right time, as we are discussing THS in the Inklings forum, and, among other things, I have discovered that all my previous readings have been of the abridged version, and the full version has much fuller descriptions of the country around Edgestow.

• Great Steve! I have been the opposite and haven’t read the shorter abridged version. I should try it.

• David Llewellyn Dodds says:

I just read the Pan abridged version (1980 reprint of 1955) for the first time and noticed, in comparing the Macmillan paperback version of the unabridged text that the word ‘midlands’ had been cut from before the characterization in one place of Edgestowe as a “market town”. This somehow got me wondering if Lewis was (among other things) playing with the idea that things would have developed differently if Stamford (in Lincolnshire) had become a university town instead of Oxford. I love Stamford, but do not know it well enough by heart to see easily if Edgestowe includes specific, ‘ Stamford-y’ details…

Liked by 1 person

5. Pingback: Pixel Scroll 2/24/21 Old Rossum’s Scroll Of Practical Credentials | File 770

6. John Garth says:

There’s quite a bit of Oxford in that map, isn’t there?

• David Llewellyn Dodds says:

Indeed, there is! Moved by the Pan abridged to compare the Macmillan unabridged in Chapter 1, section 3 of Lewis’s (!) only time as a guest at Bracton, it struck me as a lot like Magdalen College – as on Tim Kirk’s map – but a cataloguing of the similarities and dfferences would be interesting…

Liked by 1 person

• Oh dear, John, I responded to your comment. I don’t know where it went.
      But it is a response of ignorance in any case! Yes, I see CSL’s bio in all he does, and as David comments, there is a bit of a close-to-home feel here. I have a feeling that Tim Kirk is wise to lean in that direction, if that is so.

7. Pingback: Biography of Dr. Brenton Dickieson | A Pilgrim in Narnia